Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Hello again!

Hello!
I finally have a few minutes between classes. This past weekend was so eye opening--we saw the Aparthied Museum and several other historical places related to the Aparthied in Pretoria, Johannesburg, and Swoteo. It was really sureal to think that the things occuring during the Apartheid were happening while I was in elementary school! I have a new appreciate for what it means to be a "free country." However, I also saw some similarities between the events in South Afica and the US's own Civil Rights movement. Even though the Aparthied is over--there is still very much some subtle segregation in South Africa. For example, the black citizens walk and ride the bus; the white citizens all drive nice cars. The week and a half that we have been here--we are almost always the only white poeple walking down the street.

Overall, Africa has been an experience. I can't believe I am here--here teaching, learning, and experiencing all it has to offer me!

No comments: